Support for SermonSpeaker 4.x is canceled as it is for Joomla 2.5. I will gladly assist you with minor issues but I will not fix any bugs anymore in this releases.
The fix is to upgrade to SermonSpeaker 5.x and Joomla 3.x, which is better anyway.

Migration from 3.4.3

More
04 Feb 2011 22:35 #231 by Thomas Hunziker

Rev. Joel A. Brondos wrote: If I'm going to upgrade both Joomla AND Sermon Speaker, which would it be better to upgrade first?

There is a J1.5 component out there which migrates a J1.5 site to J1.6. I believe it is still beta but it looks promising. It's named JUpgrade and can be found on the JED .
It basically does what Andrei suggested, it downloads J1.6 and decompresses it into a new folder. Then it will migrate all your existing data to the new database and makes the necessary changes to the tables.

I think it works quite well already for the Joomla core. Not sure what it does with 3rd party components, but it's worth a shot :)

Anyway, if you want to upgrade, then first upgrade Joomla. After that follow the instructions I made in the announcement (copying them here now):

Migrate from SermonSpeaker 3.4.2 or 3.4.3 (Joomla 1.5)
  1. Install SermonSpeaker 4.0
  2. Copy the SermonSpeaker tables (usually jos_sermon_sermons, jos_sermon_speakers, jos_sermon_series) from your Joomla 1.5 database into your Joomla 1.6 database
  3. Install SermonSpeaker 4.0 again. This time it will check the existing tables and apply the needed changes
Warning
Unlike previous versions SermonSpeaker 4.0 will delete all SermonSpeaker database tables on first install and uninstall. This is needed for a clean uninstall and is Joomla standard. It also makes it easier for future updates to take care of database changes.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
23 Mar 2011 15:28 #398 by Thomas Hunziker
Another warning:

I just found out that J1.6 will delete all files in the components folder on a component install/upgrade that are not part of the package.
So with J1.6 you absolutely need your sermons to be stored outside of /components/com_sermonspeaker or they will be deleted on the next upgrade.
This is the default behavior for some time already anyway, but older releases had the sermons stored in /components/com_sermonspeaker/media. So if you still have some sermons stored there you need to move them and relink the sermons.

More
25 Jun 2011 00:53 #692 by B.Pohl
Replied by B.Pohl on topic Re: Migration from 3.4.3
Hi,
From the looks of it the "media" folder still exists in the 1.41 install. Probably should be moved if I understand the issue correctly about Joomla default behaviour on install/upgrade.
I'm looking forward to testing out the new component, but it's a long process doing the 1.6 upgrade :S

More
25 Jun 2011 06:26 #694 by Thomas Hunziker
Joomla 1.7 will be available in about a month and 1.8 in half a year. I read somewhere 1.8 will have a proper upgrade path included.

For the media folder: it only exists for the example sermon. And this are copied with every install anyway. I didn't figure out yet how to install stuff into the /images directory of Joomla so they still stay there. Doesn't hurt :-)

More
25 Jun 2011 10:46 #696 by B.Pohl
Replied by B.Pohl on topic Re: Migration from 3.4.3
cool.
do you know what kind of upgrade path 1.8 might have (I'd be tempted to delay the upgrade from 1.5 if it's going to be easier to make the jump to 1.8.
do you know if it's likely to be easier?
all the best,
Bert

More
25 Jun 2011 10:54 #697 by Thomas Hunziker
I think they probably include the JUpgrade component ( extensions.joomla.org/extensions/migrati...omla-migration/11658 ) into J1.8.

Also 1.8 will be a "major" release like 1.5 which is maintained longer than the "minor" releases 1.6 and 1.7 which are maintained only about 7 months.
So if you can wait till 1.8 and don't miss any features from 1.6 (or SermonSpeaker 4.x), then it's probably recommended to wait for it.

Time to create page: 0.217 seconds