Support for SermonSpeaker 4.x is canceled as it is for Joomla 2.5. I will gladly assist you with minor issues but I will not fix any bugs anymore in this releases.
The fix is to upgrade to SermonSpeaker 5.x and Joomla 3.x, which is better anyway.

No data within sermon file

More
06 Mar 2013 04:57 #3164 by Elijah Werner
Hello again!

I am having some trouble with either the upload of sermons or the playback- I'm not quite sure which. To all appearance I am able to upload the mp3's just fine, and they appear on our website as being present. However, when I click on them to play a sermon, the player comes up but there is no data to play. The player is Adobe Flash Player version 11.6, and lists the sermon length as 0:00. It also gives me a full green bar and a Buffering message. The optional pop-up player just says Connecting and also shows a time of 0:00. On the Sermons page, a warning message appears as follows:

Warning: implode() [function.implode]: Invalid arguments passed in /home/proverbs/public_html/joomla/components/com_sermonspeaker/helpers/player.php on line 303

I have no idea if this message has anything to do with my issue or not. After seeing the error message, I went into the administrator side of the website to see if the files looked right. In Media Manager, I tried deleting a sermon and re-uploading it. The upload failed with the message "File Type Not Supported". The files are saved as mp3 and appear as such in the Media folder (before I delete them, anyway). Then, I went in to Sermon Speaker and uploaded the file again. It appeared to upload fine and I re-saved the file. There was no resulting change on the website.

I am still extremely new at this and would greatly appreciate any help- please let me know if I need to clarify or provide more information!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
06 Mar 2013 08:26 #3165 by Thomas Hunziker
Hi Elijah

The player version you see is what Flash version you have installed locally on your computer. 11.6 is the current version.
The sermon length it shows is taken from the database, if it says 0:00 it just means that you didn't enter the length. If it's not entered, the player would read it from the file instead, but this obviously only works if the file got loaded :)

The warning message you see maybe is the reason why it doesn't work. To be sure I would need the version of SermonSpeaker you are using. If you're not using the latest (4.4.11) version, try updating to it first, maybe that solves the issue.

The Joomla media manager has restrictions based on filetype. This can be set in the options of the media manager. If you add mp3 there, you can use it to upload files. But apparently you can upload the files fine in SermonSpeaker, so the problem isn't with the files itself.

So first try updating to the latest SermonSpeaker version. If that doesn't fix the issue, please tell me:
  • Joomla version
  • PHP version (can be seen in the Joomla System Informations)
  • URL of your site

More
07 Mar 2013 01:55 #3166 by Elijah Werner
Thank you for the quick response! I did manage to find out that the I currently have SermonSpeaker 4.2. I have been trying to learn how to update for a while now (I have another component which needs to be reloaded) but I haven't figured that out yet. I'll research that some more and let you know how that works.

Thanks again!

More
07 Mar 2013 02:14 #3167 by Elijah Werner
While attempting to update SermonSpeaker, I wandered into the Extensions Manager (which told me that you are one of the authors of this program!) and discovered a warning list. One of the warnings reads as follows:

The PHP temporary directory is the directory that PHP uses to store an uploaded file before Joomla! can access this file. Whilst the directory not being set isn't always a problem, if you are having issues with manifest files not being detected or uploaded files not being detected, setting this in your php.ini file might fix the issue.

I'll keep working on the update, but does this shed any light on it? The PHP version is 5.3.21 and the Joomla version is 2.5.4.

More
07 Mar 2013 17:23 #3169 by Thomas Hunziker

Elijah Werner wrote: Thank you for the quick response! I did manage to find out that the I currently have SermonSpeaker 4.2. I have been trying to learn how to update for a while now (I have another component which needs to be reloaded) but I haven't figured that out yet. I'll research that some more and let you know how that works.

Updating is easy: Just install the new version over the existing one. Don't uninstall the previous version or your data will be lost.
Or you can use the built-in update manager from Joomla in the extension manager. There it's a matter of clicking a button and Joomla will download the file and install it.

The warning you see is coming from Joomla itself I guess. If it's not your own server, you may have to contact your hoster and ask him how to solve it.

More
10 Mar 2013 19:21 #3177 by Ross
Replied by Ross on topic No data within sermon file
Basically, I have the same issue. I've just migrated from Joomla 1.5 to 3.0. I used to use Sermon Speaker and it worked very nicely in the old Joomla. There appear to be a few issues with this version and Joomla 3.0. First, I note that media manager within Sermon Speaker has vanished. Also, there was a warning message saying not to save things under sermon speaker. Hence, I created a folder called sermons in the main media manager and then created a folder for the sermon series. I added mp3 to the file types that could be uploaded and then uploaded a trial file (mp3). It's there (all 6+ MB of it). I created a sermon series and a sermon and published them. I added a menu item pointing to series/sermons and when you follow the links you get to the sermon, but nothing plays. I've set the path in sermon speaker under options to images/sermons and in the sermon part typed Standing_On_Gods_Word/name of sermon.mp3 i.e to sub folder/sermon file. I've played around with slashes and various ways of enetering the path without success. I would add at this point that one of the nice features of the old sermon speaker was that you could ask for a list of the sermon files and just pick off the one you wanted. I can't find any way in the new system to get sermon speaker to confirm the path/filename to the file. Anyway I'm stuck.

Time to create page: 0.194 seconds