Support for SermonSpeaker 4.x is canceled as it is for Joomla 2.5. I will gladly assist you with minor issues but I will not fix any bugs anymore in this releases.
The fix is to upgrade to SermonSpeaker 5.x and Joomla 3.x, which is better anyway.

Illegal Collations

More
01 Sep 2012 22:19 #2452 by Brandon
Replied by Brandon on topic Illegal Collations
Actually, before blaming everything else, you may want to verify some things. Just now I went back and did a migration using 4.0 and everything worked ok. But then, after installing 4.4 (from 4.0) I received the collation error. So this had nothing to do with my DB, but with the 4.4 version.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
01 Sep 2012 22:29 #2453 by Brandon
I have verified now that this error is definitely caused by the 4.4 update. I uninstalled and reinstalled everything . . . it all worked fine until installing the 4.4 update.

More
02 Sep 2012 08:50 - 02 Sep 2012 08:51 #2456 by Thomas Hunziker
Replied by Thomas Hunziker on topic Illegal Collations

Brandon wrote: Actually, before blaming everything else, you may want to verify some things.

You know, I need your help when I should solve your issue. Did you verify the collations of your database tables and columns with phpMyAdmin or a similar tool? And if they are indeed different, did you try to solve the issue? Or did you just came back to blame SermonSpeaker?

You know, the default collation for a database is set by the server. To my knowledge Joomla doesn't set a collation, all it does is set the default charset for a table to "utf8". The server then decides which collation will be applied and it takes the default collation for the "utf8" charset to do that. SermonSpeaker does no different.

What I think happened is that your old Joomla 1.5 database had different collations than your Joomla 2.5 database. When you copied the data, the SermonSpeaker tables in your Joomla 2.5 database still had the collation of the Joomla 1.5 database. Now that usually doesn't generate a problem.
But with the update to SermonSpeaker 4.4 a new table was created. This table was created with the default collation of your Joomla 2.5 database and thus is different to the rest of the SermonSpeaker tables.
I think this is the problem you face and the solution is to change the collation of the SermonSpeaker tables (and maybe columns) to what the rest of the database has.

This is by the way not something that can (or has to) be done in an update. It's related to the migration between SermonSpeaker 3.x and 4.x and due to the (stupid) way Joomla handled this migration this is a lot of handwork.
However I'm always willing to help people as long as they ask politely.
Last edit: 02 Sep 2012 08:51 by Thomas Hunziker.

More
02 Sep 2012 22:21 #2464 by Brandon
Sounds logical what you're describing, but when I check the 2.5 tables, some are setup as utf8_unicode_ci and some are setup as utf8_general_ci. I don't know enough about this to know if it matters, but it doesn't seem to.

Anything specific I should check?

More
02 Sep 2012 22:25 #2466 by Brandon
Just verified that both DB's are setup under the same collation. So not sure what's going on. I will note that I applied the update through the Joomla control panel. Maybe this method was causing the problem?

More
02 Sep 2012 23:54 #2467 by Thomas Hunziker
Replied by Thomas Hunziker on topic Illegal Collations

Brandon wrote: Sounds logical what you're describing, but when I check the 2.5 tables, some are setup as utf8_unicode_ci and some are setup as utf8_general_ci. I don't know enough about this to know if it matters, but it doesn't seem to.

That's exactly the issue. All tables need to have the same collation, otherwise MySQL doesn't know how to sort if it is sorted over multiple tables. This is what your error message states:

Illegal mix of collations (utf8_general_ci,IMPLICIT) and (utf8_unicode_ci,IMPLICIT)...

Change all tables to the same collation and the issue will be solved.

Time to create page: 0.189 seconds