Support facebook post thumbnails

More
21 Sep 2012 02:13 #2547 by Bill Teague
I have a client who posts Sermonspeaker series and sermons to its Facebook page. In Joomla 1.5, FB captured the SermonSpeaker images as thumbnails to include in the posts, but with 2.5 it no longer does so. An FYI: there is a Joomla extension ( extensions.joomla.org/extensions/site-ma...ata/open-graph/20596 ) that takes care of it for articles but it doesn't work for SermonSpeaker. It would be nice if SermonSpeaker supported Facebook for this.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
21 Sep 2012 09:58 #2548 by Thomas Hunziker
Actually, SermonSpeaker has support for OpenGraph included since 4.2 ( www.sermonspeaker.net/11-sermonspeaker/n...rmonspeaker-420.html ).

It has the picture, audio and videofile included in the tags as well as other informations like series and speaker. However I have not really control over what Facebook will do with that information.

I think Facebook threats the sermon like an audiofile. Earlier they showed a player for this, but they removed this feature.

I will see if I can change the behaviour when I change the type to article, video, sound or movie or something.

More
21 Sep 2012 10:37 #2549 by Thomas Hunziker
Apparently the picture doesn't get shown for pages of type "music". It's only shown for "articles".
Also Facebook seems to ignore the type set in the oppengraph tags. As soon as there is an audio tag found, the page is threated as music and the artist/album info is shown, but not the picture.

So all I could do is add a parameter which lets you choose the mode:
  • Article: Shows the picture and title and some description (if available)
  • Audio: Shows title, artist and album. Unfortunately, the player is no longer shown
  • Video: Not tested, probably shows the video

More
21 Sep 2012 12:16 #2550 by Andrei Chernyshev
actually I believe, Zukerberg also made a change that you can no longer post videos to Facebook. at least I can't post vimeo videos. or they've changed criteria on how it is posted.

More
21 Sep 2012 13:29 #2551 by Thomas Hunziker
Ah, that explains why it didn't work when I just tested it.

I've added a new parameter which allows you to set the behaviour.
It will either use the tags for an article or for movie/song (depending on file).
The following user(s) said Thank You: Bill Teague

More
21 Sep 2012 15:49 #2552 by Bill Teague
Sounds like you're adding it to the sermons page. Thank you! My wish list would also include similar support for the series page ... my client promotes future sermons and likes to include a link to the series.

Time to create page: 0.210 seconds