Non-Flash Player

More
05 Sep 2012 10:39 #2489 by Thomas Hunziker
The download is in fact done by PHP. The javascript is only needed to define what happens if you press the button and all it does is redirect to a new URL, basically a classic link. The button itself doesn't do anything in HTML, you need Javascript for this to work or you create a regular link instead of the button (like done in the icons layout).

The message is not really an error message. It's just a dummy text which should be replaced by the Javascript.
I've just tested demo.sermonspeaker.net using a smartphone with Windows Phone 7.5, which doesn't support Flash as well. All is working as expected here. Can you test this site with your iPhone? Just to have a reference.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
05 Sep 2012 10:50 #2490 by Ian
Replied by Ian on topic Re: Non-Flash Player
On this page
www.sermonspeaker.net/listings/sermons.html
ie diverted from the demo.sermon.... url
then chosing eg this one
www.sermonspeaker.net/listings/sermons/s...scht-die-fuesse.html

it tells me that Flashplayer needs Javascript turned on (with an icon) at the top of the content on the page

two options also displayed - opoup player and download audio

popup player, opens a new browser window, with a clickable palyer
clicking it opens quicktime to play (ie leaves page to quicktime)
download option goes directly to quicktime

whereas on the one I have tweaked there is a html5 player rendered on the actual page itself
eg
www.centrechurch.org.au/sermon/69-fathers-heart.html
and when it's clicked it plays without going to other windows or loading quicktime

Ian

More
05 Sep 2012 11:09 #2491 by Thomas Hunziker
Aww, forgot that I set the default layout to icons, which has the PixelOut player included.

Can you also check this URL: www.sermonspeaker.net/single-views/single-sermon/content.html
This is a different layout which has the JW Player.

On my windows phone, it also opens a new window to play the file. I guess that this is the intended behaviour from the JW Player because it would also play videos (where it makes perfectly sense). I agree that it shouldn't do that at least for audio files. I will see if I can change this behaviour in JW Player.

More
05 Sep 2012 12:16 #2492 by Thomas Hunziker
The problem is that JW Player uses the <video> tag also for audio files when in HTML5 mode. It doesn't look like I could change that.
Now the smartphone browsers don't play videos natively in the browser but play it in an extern application like Quicktime (iOS). They don't look at what the file actually is, they just route everything inside the <video> tag to this application. Unfortunately that means audio files can't be played natively inside a video tag on Apple and Windows Phone devices.

Your solution would not fix JW Player however. The player will still be loaded and playing will open a new window.

So I'm leaving that as it is. But I included it already for the Wordpress Audioplayer where it makes perfectly sense.

Also about JavaScript: I think we can safely assume that anyone visiting a Joomla site will have JavaScript enabled. Half of the internet doesn't work without JavaScript anyway. All those fancy menues, interactive stuff, most forms and much more doesn't work without it. If they have JavaScript disabled for whatever reason, they will just have to live with the fact that they can't listen to a sermon on the page itself. They will have to use the podcast for this. Also I don't know a device which doesn't support JavaScript :-)

Time to create page: 0.174 seconds