Support for SermonSpeaker 5.x is in bugfix mode only, the same as it is for Joomla 3.10.
I will not add any new features to this releases.
Please upgrade to SermonSpeaker 6.x and Joomla 4.x, which is better anyway.

migration to joomla 3

More
18 Dec 2014 21:19 #4985 by Thomas Hunziker
Why do you want to use JUpgrade? That's for upgrading from Joomla 1.5.

From 2.5 to 3.0 you just use the Joomla Updater (change the update stream in the options). That's why I said I misread your question first. From 2.5 to 3.0 there is no migration at all. It's a simple upgrade. No manual work needed.
If you're on Joomla 2.5.28, you should actually see a message with a link to a doc page.
I wouldn't start fresh. If you want to try it out in a test enviroment, you just create a backup and restore that in your test setup and upgrade from there.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 Dec 2014 21:33 #4986 by Andrei Chernyshev
Will there be any more update gaps like 1.5 to 2.5 with Joomla everyone is asking me. BTW I like what you did with the site.

More
18 Dec 2014 22:03 #4987 by egkaleo
Replied by egkaleo on topic migration to joomla 3
First de-installed the components etc. which are not compatible, then run the updater.
So I did use the joomla updater, but it messes up the database, and afterwards the site is not working anymore.
I had also issues with the update from 1.5 tot 2.5 e.g. within the menu of the site.
This time there was also a part missing of the menu.
Thats's another reason for a fresh start, to get rid of rubbish.

The question is, after installing a fresh joomla 3, and installing the version of sermonspeaker for Joomla 3, can I import a backup from the 2.5 version (I see no export facilities) and import it in the 3.3 version (I see no import function).
If not possible, can I replace the tables in 3.3 with the tables of sermonspeaker of joomla 2.5?
I tested this, but it did not work, because the structure is slightly different.

The only component I would like to transmit is sermonspeaker because of the number of sermons.

More
18 Dec 2014 22:11 #4988 by Thomas Hunziker

Andrei Chernyshev wrote: Will there be any more update gaps like 1.5 to 2.5 with Joomla everyone is asking me. BTW I like what you did with the site.

The new development strategy which Joomla follows since this year is written here: developer.joomla.org/cms/development-strategy.html

It basically says that there will be no migration like we had between 1.5 and 2.5 anymore. The goal is more like what we have between 2.5 and 3.x and if we ever require a migration again, then there must be a proper migration path.

More
18 Dec 2014 22:18 #4989 by Thomas Hunziker

egkaleo wrote: The question is, after installing a fresh joomla 3, and installing the version of sermonspeaker for Joomla 3, can I import a backup from the 2.5 version (I see no export facilities) and import it in the 3.3 version (I see no import function).
If not possible, can I replace the tables in 3.3 with the tables of sermonspeaker of joomla 2.5?
I tested this, but it did not work, because the structure is slightly different.

If you have to go this route, you can copy the tables over to the new database. But you need to install the same version of SermonSpeaker as you have in your Joomla 2.5 installation, that is version 4.5.8.
Since SermonSpeaker deletes existing tables on first install you need to follow this steps:
  1. Install SermonSpeaker 4.5.8 in your Joomla 3.3.6
  2. Copy the SermonSpeaker tables from your Joomla 2.5.28 to your Joomla 3.3.6. The tables all start with "#__sermon", where "#__" is your database prefix.
  3. Check that SermonSpeaker sees the sermons, series and speakers.
  4. You need to recreat your categories and assign the sermons, series and speakers to them again.
  5. If it works, update SermonSpeaker to the latest release (5.2.3)

More
18 Dec 2014 22:27 #4990 by egkaleo
Replied by egkaleo on topic migration to joomla 3
Thanks a lot for the explanation.
I will try this, next weekend.

Time to create page: 0.183 seconds