Support for SermonSpeaker 4.x is canceled as it is for Joomla 2.5. I will gladly assist you with minor issues but I will not fix any bugs anymore in this releases.
The fix is to upgrade to SermonSpeaker 5.x and Joomla 3.x, which is better anyway.

Update error

More
25 Sep 2012 23:15 #2590 by Doulos
Update error was created by Doulos
When I try to update the SermonSpeaker component from the control panel I get the following error:

-1 - An error has occurred.

Copy failed

This is on a Ubuntu Linux server, with write permissions enabled for owner and group.
PHP settings for uploads are: upload_max_filesize = 64M, and post_max_size = 64M.

Any idea what the problem is?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
25 Sep 2012 23:26 #2591 by Thomas Hunziker
Replied by Thomas Hunziker on topic Update error
Try to chown -R the whole web directory to the apache user. I usually have this problem as well after I manually created a file with my own user.
And check the write permissions for the tmp directory as well

More
25 Sep 2012 23:34 #2592 by Andrei Chernyshev
Replied by Andrei Chernyshev on topic Update error
if you are using your own server and can change FTP settings it could also be this issue.
www.softaculous.com/board/index.php?tid=..._Files_in_Joomla_1.5

More
26 Sep 2012 05:51 #2593 by Doulos
Replied by Doulos on topic Update error
Thanks for the replies. I forgot to mention that all other sermonspeaker updates worked fine. It is just the component that gives me the error.

More
26 Sep 2012 08:05 #2594 by Thomas Hunziker
Replied by Thomas Hunziker on topic Update error
Did you check what I already wrote?

Also check the server error log, it may have an error message in it.

The error you see is not coming from SermonSpeaker itself, it is coming from the Joomla installer. "Copy failed" means that it couldn't copy the file. Basically there are only two reasons why that could fail: Either it can't write to the destination folder(s) or the memory limits are to low. Since you limits are quite high, it's most likely something with the permissions.

More
26 Sep 2012 21:31 #2595 by Doulos
Replied by Doulos on topic Update error

Thomas Hunziker wrote: Try to chown -R the whole web directory to the apache user. I usually have this problem as well after I manually created a file with my own user.
And check the write permissions for the tmp directory as well

This did not work.

Thomas Hunziker wrote:
Also check the server error log, it may have an error message in it.

The error you see is not coming from SermonSpeaker itself, it is coming from the Joomla installer. "Copy failed" means that it couldn't copy the file. Basically there are only two reasons why that could fail: Either it can't write to the destination folder(s) or the memory limits are to low. Since you limits are quite high, it's most likely something with the permissions.

Error message: [Wed Sep 26 12:24:14 2012] [error] [client myIPaddress] PHP Notice: Trying to get property of non-object in /home/webdirectory/libraries/joomla/updater/adapters/extension.php on line 193, referer: http://webdirectory/administrator/index.php

Time to create page: 0.182 seconds