"500 Commands out of sync; you can't run this command now" after Joomla 4 update

More
11 Apr 2022 13:58 #7873 by Neil Robertson
Hi Thomas,

I am in the process of migrating a Joomla 1.5 SermonSpeaker website to Joomla 4.

I migrated successfully from SermonSpeaker v3.4.4 to v4.5.8 on Joomla 3.x and then upgraded to v5.9.9 using the Extension Update Manager.

SermonSpeaker worked fine after I recreated the categories.

I then migrated from Joomla 3.10.8 to Joomla 4.1.2. I was then able to update SermonSpeaker from v5.9.9 to v6.0.3.

After this latest update, I can no longer display the sermons on the front end of the website and the following error is displayed instead:
Code:
The requested page can't be found. If difficulties persist, please contact the website administrator and report the error below. 500 Commands out of sync; you can't run this command now

Can you please let me know if you have any ideas on how to fix this?

Thanks,

Neil

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 Apr 2022 16:40 #7874 by Thomas Hunziker
I haven't seen that error yet myself, so allow me some question.
* The backend works fine?
* Are you logged in as superadmin in the frontend? Can you try if it changes anything if you're logged in or not?
* Is it only the sermons list or also series and speakers which don't work?
* Did you have already saved the SermonSpeaker options since upgrading to 6.x? I saw some strange errors already when those weren't saved yet.

Last but not least: Can you check the Server error log if there is an error logged? "500" usually means a server error which gets logged. The log then shows where the error appeared.

More
12 Apr 2022 02:02 - 12 Apr 2022 02:15 #7879 by Neil Robertson
Hi Thomas,

Thanks so much for the prompt response.

The back-end is working fine.

It doesn't seem to make any difference if I am logged in on the front-end or not.

Series and speakers lists seem to work fine.

I saved the SermonSpeaker options after every upgrade including the 6.0.3 update.

The Error Log in cPanel does not seem to be showing anything relevant. Is there somewhere else I can look?

Enabling debug provides some extra information that might help (see attachment).

Thanks,

Neil

Last edit: 12 Apr 2022 02:15 by Neil Robertson. Reason: Add Debug Info

More
12 Apr 2022 02:54 - 12 Apr 2022 02:58 #7880 by Neil Robertson
Further to the above post, and I'm not sure if this is related or not, but it looks like the categories might be messed up after the latest update.

There are only three categories in Sermon Speaker but there are now 9 category records in the database.

See attachments for details.

Last edit: 12 Apr 2022 02:58 by Neil Robertson.

More
12 Apr 2022 21:23 #7882 by Thomas Hunziker
With SermonSpeaker, you get categories for sermons, series and speakers respectively. During the update, the existing categories are trippled and the items assigned to the newly created categories. In the database you see the difference in the "extension". Some are "com_sermonspeaker.sermons" and some "com_sermonspeaker.series" and the third "com_sermonspeaker.speakers".

The debug is helpful as I now know where it appears in the code. Unfortunately it's a rather generic place.
The error itself is a database error, apparently when the code tries to do a query before the previos was finished.
Can you tell me which version of the database you are using (you should see that in the Joomla system information)? And what database type you have selected in the configuration (usually MySQLi or MySQL (PDO) )
Maybe I can set up the same version and try to reproduce the issue.

More
13 Apr 2022 02:09 - 13 Apr 2022 03:07 #7884 by Neil Robertson
Thanks Thomas,

The website is running on mysql 5.6.41-84.1 and PHP 7.4.28.

MySQLi is selected.

Temporarily changing to MySQL (PDO) changes the error to:
Code:
500 HY001, 1038, Out of sort memory, consider increasing server sort buffer size

I increased the memory_limit from 256M to 512M but this didn't help.

Neil
Last edit: 13 Apr 2022 03:07 by Neil Robertson.

Time to create page: 0.191 seconds