Support for SermonSpeaker 5.x is in bugfix mode only, the same as it is for Joomla 3.10.
I will not add any new features to this releases.
Please upgrade to SermonSpeaker 6.x and Joomla 4.x, which is better anyway.

Updating SermonSpeaker 5.x to 6.x

More
12 Feb 2022 02:16 - 12 Feb 2022 02:25 #7835 by Russell Patterson
Hi,

First of all, I love SermonSpeaker and we use it extensively.  We have thousands of messages up and want to be 100% careful I don't mess it up.  I read that I will need to update to Joomla version 4 first, then the update to version 6 will be available.  Are there any gotchas?

Thanks a whole lot!
Russell

media.worthbc.org
Last edit: 12 Feb 2022 02:25 by Russell Patterson. Reason: I missed a note on the home page about updating to version 6.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 Feb 2022 10:19 #7836 by Thomas Hunziker
I strongly suggest that you do a copy of your production site (using Akeeba Backup or similar tools), then you do the upgrade on the copy and see if everything works.
This way you have all the time of the world to fix any possible issues while the production site is still running on Joomla 3.
Once everything is working, you can either upgrade the production site or even better switch the domain to your copied and upgraded installation.

That being said, the upgrade to Joomla 4 should work without issues for core.

Afterwards as you wrote you will see the upgrade for SermonSpeaker. That upgrade should in theory also work without issues. During the upgrade, SermonSpeaker will delete some outdated files and folders and adjust the categories to the new system (categories are now unique for sermons, series and speakers and no longer shared among them).
The only potential issue I could see is that the upgrade script runs into some timeout due to the many sermons, but I'd say it should work fine. The database should be able to do that adjustment quite fast.

Of course, there may be other extensions installed which may produce issues with Joomla 4.
So I'd say try it on a backup :-)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.293 seconds