Support for SermonSpeaker 5.x is in bugfix mode only, the same as it is for Joomla 3.10.
I will not add any new features to this releases.
Please upgrade to SermonSpeaker 6.x and Joomla 4.x, which is better anyway.

Move existing sermons to new installation?

More
08 Sep 2014 00:28 #4843 by aaron rice
I have Sermon Speaker 4 on my Joomla 2.5 site, and I have made a new site using Joomla 3.3. I'm doing a complete change for layout and look, but I want to keep all of the sermons I currently have on the old site. How do I best move them over to the new site? Where the new site is website.com, the new site is in website.com/new. Is there an easy way to do this?

Thanks for any help!

Aaron Rice

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
08 Sep 2014 08:04 #4845 by Thomas Hunziker
SermonSpeaker stores the sermon paths usually relative to the Joomla root. So if you have them currently stored at "website.com/images/sermons/sermon.mp3", it is stored internally as "images/sermons/sermon.mp3".
That means you can just move the files to your new website into the same directory there ("website.com/new/images/sermons/sermon.mp3") and it will work.

To copy the SermonSpeaker data itself, you need to first update SermonSpeaker 4 on your old installation to the latest available version (SermonSpeaker 4.5.8). Then install the same version in your Joomla 3 site. After that copy over the SermonSpeaker database tables from your old installation to the new one.
If all entries are there, update SermonSpeaker to the latest version for Joomla 3 (SermonSpeaker 5.2.3).
However you may loose categories in that process.

The really easiest way of migrating a Joomla 2.5 site to Joomla 3 is by using the integrated Joomla Updater. Then you just press a button and the site will be upgraded. If you make sure that all installed extensions are compatible with Joomla 3 (like SermonSpeaker 4.5.8 is), then that process is simple. The template is usually the only thing you need to change.
You can also do that from a backup so you have time to play and test it first and then switch if everything is ready.

More
09 Sep 2014 05:27 #4850 by aaron rice
I would love to just update my old site to the new one, but when I did that, all I got was a white screen on both the front and backend. I've run in to this problem before when updating components, and haven't been able to figure out what is causing this. The easiest thing for me to do is to just build a new site with Joomla 3. Sermon Speaker is the only thing I really need to move over; everything else can be re-built.

That said, I did copy the 6 database tables from the old site to the new site, and on the backend, I see all of the sermons, speakers etc. But when I look at it on the frontend, I get the message "Sorry, unfortunately I didn't find any Sermons". Any idea what I can do to fix that?

More
09 Sep 2014 08:24 #4851 by Thomas Hunziker
A white screen usually means there was a fatal error on the server. You would see an error message in the error logfile.
You can also turn on error logging in the Joomla configuration, maybe that would show something as well.

Basically that happens if you have an extension installed which isn't compatible with Joomla 3 and tries to access a file or method which is no longer available.

However since you already did most of it, it's indeed simpler to just solve the remaining few issues :-)

The message you now get from SermonSpeaker most likely can be solved by reassigning a valid category to each sermon, speaker and series. You can do that using the batch function in the manager views.
Can you try that?

More
09 Sep 2014 21:55 #4852 by aaron rice
I did a batch move of all sermons to a new category, and still get the same error message...

More
09 Sep 2014 22:13 #4853 by Thomas Hunziker
Did you also do the series and speakers? All of them need a valid category.

Time to create page: 0.184 seconds