Support for SermonSpeaker 4.x is canceled as it is for Joomla 2.5. I will gladly assist you with minor issues but I will not fix any bugs anymore in this releases.
The fix is to upgrade to SermonSpeaker 5.x and Joomla 3.x, which is better anyway.

Cannot upload to Amazon S3

More
12 Jul 2014 18:32 #4716 by Ian Shere
I have the latest version of SS for Joomla 2.5.x (SS v 4.5.8). My client's size on my server is getting way too big so I decided I'd shift the audio files only to Amazon S3 (video is on Vimeo already).

However, I cannot get the files to upload to the directory I want. All I get is a generic "Unable to upload file" error from SS after trying an upload.

If I set the upload path to the top level bucket, the file uploads fine. However, as I administer many sites, this is impractical. rather than setting the bucket name as toplevel I set it to toplevel/secondlevel the upload fails. Why should this not work - it's a valid path?

SIDENOTE: I did find out, accidentally, that capitals in the bucket name cause SS to fail the upload. I have used caps and even underscores with Akeeba Backup and it's happy with them, but SS doesn't like them.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 Jul 2014 22:26 #4717 by Thomas Hunziker
As far as I know, AmazonS3 doesn't really support folders. They use kind of a hack by adding slashes to the filename and then threat it as kind of folders. So your file would have to be named subfolder/sermon.mp3.
I'm not sure however if SermonSpeaker or the library I use even supports slashes in a filename. Probably not.

In your case, I would create multible buckets.

About special filenames: Generally speaking it's always the safest to have lowercase filenames and no special characters in it. Especially for files which need to be accessible as part of an URL for the visiting user. So this for sure is different between SermonSpeaker and Akeeba Backup :)

More
13 Jul 2014 01:55 #4718 by Ian Shere
Thanks for the explanation Thomas. That's kind of odd, IMHO, especially from a company who has beaucoup dollars to set it up like that. Perhaps there's a totally brilliant reason that a mere mortal like me doesn't know!!

Yes, I ended up setting up a new bucket to accomplish the required scenario. However, I have hundreds to do and it's a huge task doing it manually; is there an easier way? Plus I did a couple and some aren't working - all extremely frustrating.

More
13 Jul 2014 11:07 #4720 by Thomas Hunziker
I don't use Amazon S3 myself. I added the feature because it was requested and made sense to me. I have to set up a test account from time to time to test it if it still works :)
Thus I'm sure not an expert in how to use it best.

However if I have multiple sites to manage, I would probably just do a bucket per website and store everything flat into that bucket.

More
13 Jul 2014 15:26 #4722 by Ian Shere
I like S3 because it's cheap - 3c/Gb - so it's perfect for this sort of storage.

I think I'll get my coding friend to write me an SQL query to reset everything. I have over 4 years worth of sermons from a church that has multiple Sunday services! Daunting to change each manually!

Time to create page: 0.172 seconds