Support for SermonSpeaker 4.x is canceled as it is for Joomla 2.5. I will gladly assist you with minor issues but I will not fix any bugs anymore in this releases.
The fix is to upgrade to SermonSpeaker 5.x and Joomla 3.x, which is better anyway.

You are not authorised to view this resource.

More
19 Mar 2014 02:34 #4430 by Rev. Joel A. Brondos
Using Joomla! 2.5.19; SermonSpeaker 4.5.8.

New install at www.illa.us/listen

I've tried numerous configurations and assignments but keep getting error messages that "You are not authorised . . .." or that no sermons can be found.

I'm probably missing something simple - plain as the nose on my face - but I'm stumped even after searching documentation and watching video.

Hunsicker to the rescue?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 Mar 2014 09:15 #4432 by Thomas Hunziker
Please check that each sermon, series and speaker have a valid category assigned.
Access restrictions are done using categories and if there is none assigned, SermonSpeaker will refuse to show it.

More
19 Mar 2014 12:19 #4433 by Rev. Joel A. Brondos
"Please check that each sermon, series and speaker have a valid category assigned."

Am I correct if I understand the set-up in terms of this hierarchy?

Category
Series
Speaker
Sermon

If a Speaker would appear in more than one Category, do I have to "duplicate" the Speaker information for each Category in which the Speaker will be found?

Thank you for your patient assistance, and apologies for my previous misspelling of the noble name Hunziker.

More
19 Mar 2014 12:43 #4436 by Thomas Hunziker
It depends a bit on your site setup. Let me explain that B)
Categories have two purposes in SermonSpeaker:

The main one is to group together sermons, series and speakers which allows to filter them in frontend using menu items. Teh category filter is only applied to one of the three item types. Which one depends on the menu item type.
So if you have a sermons list, the category filter will be applied to the sermons. But not applied to the series and speakers. If you have a menu item for a speakers list, then the category filter will be applied to the speakers instead (but not to his sermons and series).

The other purpose of the categories is the ACL part. And here the permissions are checked for each item based on its category.
That means if you have your sermons list to show the sermons of the category "public", but one series has the category "restricted", the sermons of that series will not show. The same happens when the series has no category assigned.

Now to answer your question:

If a Speaker would appear in more than one Category, do I have to "duplicate" the Speaker information for each Category in which the Speaker will be found?

Let's make an example. You have group of sermons you want to share: Those from the sunday services and the one from youth meetings. Now you would create two categories "Sunday Service" and "Youth Meeting" and assign the categories to the matching sermons. That part is easy.
I guess your question is now what happens if it's the same speaker for both categories. And now ti depends what you want to do. If you want to show a list of speakers for youth meetings and a different list of speakers for the sunday service, you will have to duplicate the speaker so it appears in both lists. However if you don't show a list of speakers or only one containing all speakers for all services, you can put them all into the same category. The speaker category doesn't have to match the one from the sermon.
Given that categories can be nested, it may make sense to have something like this and put the speakers into the parent category "Services":
  • Services
    • Sunday Services
    • Youth Meeting
Or you can also just create three categories like this:
  • Speakers
  • Sunday Services
  • Youth Meeting

Time to create page: 0.170 seconds