Support for SermonSpeaker 4.x is canceled as it is for Joomla 2.5. I will gladly assist you with minor issues but I will not fix any bugs anymore in this releases.
The fix is to upgrade to SermonSpeaker 5.x and Joomla 3.x, which is better anyway.

Question On setup of SermonSpeaker on Joomla 1.7

More
08 Jan 2012 15:39 #1353 by Jeff Newsome
Hello,

How do you actually get the sermon page setup on the website do you need to download an extra module i've been trying to get the software to work on 1.7 joomla and im having problems understanding the docs on actually uploading the sermon files I 've been reading the help files but it looks like im missing something. It mentions ftp which im familar with but how do you ftp to a joomla server ?. Do I need to download a player to work with sermonplayer im quite confused.
jeff

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
08 Jan 2012 17:16 #1354 by Thomas Hunziker
There are multiple ways of how you can upload a sermon file:
  • Use an external FTP program. If you have FTP access to your server, you can upload the files to your sermon directory (specified in the settings) using any FTP program.
  • Use the Joomla Media Manager. Joomla has an integrated Media Manager in the backend, you can use this one to create folders and upload files.
  • Use SermonSpeaker. When you create a new sermon, you can upload new files there as well with a built-in Flash uploader. You create new sermons either in the backend or using the Frontend Uploader. Both was support uploading new files.

Once uploaded to the correct directory (as set in the SermonSpeaker options), the file should be listed in the drop down list when you create your sermon.

SermonSpeaker comes shipped with 3 Flash players. You don't have to download anything.

I have to admit that the documentation is a bit lacking. I'm just not very good at writing these stuff. There are however various videos made by users on Youtube and vimeo which show how to use SermonSpeaker. Some are linked here: www.sermonspeaker.net/documentation/15-s...nspeaker-videos.html .
They may be a bit outdated when they use SermonSpeaker 3.4 but basically it's still the same with SermonSpeaker 4.x.

Also feel free to ask here in our forums. I'm happy to guide you and answer questions. :-)

More
08 Jan 2012 18:58 #1355 by Jeff Newsome
Thomas,

If media folder is used can you just name a folder to say (sermons) and just upload to there ?. Or does the software have to have a certain named file . I was trying to use the default loaded sermon to see what the page would look like and couldn't get it to work . I made a category named it sermons I even setup a speaker in that setup also but i ended up with a sermon page loaded on my home page that stated no sermons found should the example sermon been there when it was setup all the stuff was published so im thinking the example sermon would have showed up. The other question that has popped in mind is im getting ready to upload a new template to the site will that change anything within sermon speaker the template is for 1.7 joomla which is the version im using . When you setup a folder to upload to where should that folder be located in the media section or does it matter much. I was wondering if you would be willing to chat by phone about this while im working with this sometimes following while doing is a great option im willing to call you if that is ok i have free long distance if you are located in the USA. Im located in the eastern time zone also .By the way all the settings i mentioned above was within the sermonspeaker control panel.
jeff

More
08 Jan 2012 19:35 - 08 Jan 2012 19:35 #1356 by Thomas Hunziker
You can use any folder you like. The only restriction is that it has to be in a subdirectory of Joomla, otherwise Joomla (and thus SermonSpeaker) will not be able to access them. By default it goes to the /images/ directory, personally I use /images/sermons/ on my sites.

I would not use the categories at all when you start. It's more an extended feature and may act not like you would expect it.
SermonSpeaker installs with a working enviroment of one speaker, one series and one sermon. If you create a new menu entry with the default settings for SermonSpeaker sermons list, it should show this sermon. Maybe you have set a filter for this menu entry?
Also you could try with this link: www.yourdomain.com/index.php?option=com_...speaker&view=sermons . This should show you a list of all sermons.

A template may break the layout of SermonSpeaker in some cases, but it should not get you the "found no sermons" text.

The folder set in SermonSpeaker should be the one the sermon files are (or will be) stored. It's the path SermonSpeaker will look for files to populate the drop down lists and it is also the directory it will upload the files to.

Calling me is probably not a good option. I live in Switzerland and I'm not native english. So while I can write in english quite well, speaking english is a whole other thing. :-)
You can however contact me in ICQ (24223116) if you use this. Facebook chat ( www.facebook.com/bakual ) would probably work as well. I'm online in both chats most of the time when I'm at the computer or at home. Or you can email me at bakual@bakual.ch.
If you send me an URL of your site, I can have a look at it as well.
Last edit: 08 Jan 2012 19:35 by Thomas Hunziker.

More
08 Jan 2012 19:44 #1357 by Jeff Newsome
Thomas,

Ok well chatting by phone won't work i don't have icq but do have a facebook account and aol instant messenger.I will take your advice on the category thing i need the simple get me going setup . Now can I make a directory off of images like you have within the control panel of joomla i must let you know im new both to joomla and sermonspeaker .I've been learning joomla for a few months now and im getting a little better with joomla . Well let me get back home with my stuff then i will play some like i've said its all new basically with me .
jeff

More
08 Jan 2012 20:19 #1358 by Thomas Hunziker
If you're in the Joomla Backend, go to Content -> Media Manager. There you can create a new folder in the images directory (like "sermons").
Then go to the SermonSpeaker options and in the "File Paths" tab, there is the "Path to sermons" field. Enter "images/sermons" there (whithout quotes). Save and close the options.

After that when you go to the "Sermons" tab and click the "New" button, you can create a new sermon. You will see an "Audiofile" and a "Videofile" box, each with a text field and a drop down list in it. This drop down list will be populated with the files found in the "images/sermons" folder. The text field allows you to specify your own URL of a file, if you need that.
The "Upload" button will let you select a file on your computer and will upload and select that file to the "images/sermons" folder.

Hope that helps :)

Time to create page: 0.183 seconds