Support for SermonSpeaker 3.x is canceled as it is for Joomla 1.5. I will gladly assist you with minor issues but I will not fix any bugs anymore in this releases.
The fix is to upgrade to SermonSpeaker 4.x, which is better anyway.

Wrong counting hits

More
12 Dec 2012 13:13 - 12 Dec 2012 17:40 #2805 by Martini
Wrong counting hits was created by Martini
Hello,

I'm testing SermonSpeaker 3.44 (fantastic Tool) with J!1.5
Today I've noticed that the hit-counter is reseted each time I save a change on a sermon. Is there a bugfix I can apply to version 3.44?

Another thing is the way of counting:
The hits are increased by entering the sermondetail-page and by clicking the popup for the player - but clicking the download-button doesn't increase the hits.
If I've deactivated the player in the sermondetail-page, hits are counted although no one has clicked the download-button or the play-in-popup-button.
Is there a way to count only if the download-button is clicked or the player begins to play?

Thank you very much for any help
Last edit: 12 Dec 2012 17:40 by Martini.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 Dec 2012 13:43 - 12 Dec 2012 13:44 #2806 by Thomas Hunziker
Replied by Thomas Hunziker on topic Wrong counting hits
Hi Martini

Thanks for trying out SermonSpeaker 3.4.4. I hope you noticed that the SermonSpeaker 3.x series has reached end of life some time ago. It is not developed any further. SermonSpeaker 3.4.4 basically only released to make it a bit easier to migrate to SermonSpeaker 4.x. B)
Also Joomla! 1.5 has reached it's end of life this year, which means you don't get any updates anymore for it.

Anyway to answer your questions:
  • I wasn't aware that editing a sermon would reset the hitcount for this sermon. It definitively doesn't do this in the current release (SermonSpeaker 4.4.9).
  • The hitcount is a quite simple function. It just counts the pageviews. Since the popup is basically the same view with a different layout, it's counted as well. Btw this is similar to how hits are counted for articles. The download button or the player however is not a pageview and thus doesn't get counted. In SermonSpeaker 4.x you can set exclusions based on usergroups. Also in the newer releases you can track download and playerhits with Google Analytics.
You see, it's highly recommended to upgrade Joomla and SermonSpeaker :cheer:
Last edit: 12 Dec 2012 13:44 by Thomas Hunziker.

More
12 Dec 2012 15:55 #2807 by Martini
Replied by Martini on topic Wrong counting hits
Thank you for the fast reply!
I noticed that there is no longer support for J!1.5 and also component version 3.44 but I haven't the time for migration the whole website with all plugins to J!2.5 yet.

Maybe you can give me a hint anyway where I can find the code that is responsible for saving and edited sermon in you component v3.44.
I found the save and apply function in admin/views/sermon/tmpl/form.php
Code:
JToolBarHelper::save() JToolBarHelper::apply()
but I'm not familiar enough with Joomla Core functions and php to find the declaration of these methods or how to declare which attributs has to be stored at which location.

Thanks for your great support.

More
12 Dec 2012 16:23 #2808 by Thomas Hunziker
Replied by Thomas Hunziker on topic Wrong counting hits
The code you found will create the buttons. The buttons will run the task "sermon.save" when clicked. Now this goes to the "sermon" controller (/components/com_sermonspeaker/controllers/sermon.php) and runs the "save" function there.

This function loads the table (/components/com_sermonspeaker/tables/sermons.php) and runs the save function there.

Each of these classes extend from Joomla classes which are found in the libraries folder. But don't ask me exactly where those were in Joomla 1.5.

But in your case, you probably only need to add the hits to the form you already found. You can do so like the id is done near the end of the form
Code:
<input type="hidden" name="hits" value="<?php echo $this->row->hits; ?>" />
And if you're on it, you probably can change the one for created_by as well. This one looks wrong to me:
Code:
<input type="hidden" name="created_on" value="<?php echo $this->row->created_by; ?>" />
should probably be:
Code:
<input type="hidden" name="created_by" value="<?php echo $this->row->created_by; ?>" />
The following user(s) said Thank You: Martini

More
12 Dec 2012 17:42 #2809 by Martini
Replied by Martini on topic Wrong counting hits
Thank you very much!! :)
The counter works now and the reference createdby works too.

Time to create page: 0.297 seconds