Improve OpenGraph

• Eduard
  • Eduard's Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
16 Mar 2013 01:10 #3240 by Eduard
Improve OpenGraph was created by Eduard
Suggest several fixes for OpenGraph:
  • Allow activate rendering og:meta-tags in head without fb_appid (ex., I can not even have a fanpage and app in facebook. At the same time og:tags simply helps make beautiful posts sharing in facebook newsfeed).
  • Verify meta-tag value for correct content (i.e. convert special symbols to html-safe characters)
  • And main idea: Add features to select sources(fileds) for meta-tag values (description, image)
Sources may be:
  • overrided description and/or image (once in settings for all sermons)
  • dynamic description and/or image (i.e. from directly sermon - but as of now working)
  • also dynamic description may be getting from global site title/description, or from sermon description
Thinking this is minor fixes, but will be useful and give additional flexibility!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 Mar 2013 08:04 #3241 by Thomas Hunziker
Replied by Thomas Hunziker on topic Improve OpenGraph
Thanks for your suggestions. I agree with your first two points and it should be easy to do.

However I'm not sure if I understand what you want with the source.
For clarity I'm listing where all the information is coming from:
  • og:title -> sermon title
  • og:url -> current page URL
  • og:description -> sermon meta description or if empty menu meta description
  • og:site_name -> site name
  • og:image -> sermon picture, if not present series picture, if not present speaker picture
If mode is set to article:
  • article:author -> link to speaker
  • article:section -> series title
If mode is set to movie/song:
  • og:video or og:audio -> link to file
  • og:audio:title (if audio) -> sermon title
  • og:audio:artist (if audio) -> speaker name
  • og:audio:album (if audio) -> series title

Regular metadata
  • meta description -> sermon meta description or if empty menu meta descriptipn
  • meta keywords -> sermon meta keywords or if empty menu meta keywords
  • meta robots -> menu meta robots or site setting
  • meta author (if enabled in site settings) -> speaker name

So I'm not sure where you would want to change the source. You could already set a global value for description in the menu item, if you need that. The picture should be a quite reasonable order I think, why would you want to change that?

• Eduard
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
16 Mar 2013 13:27 #3244 by Eduard
Replied by Eduard on topic Improve OpenGraph
Yes, all right, and working correct! I only suggested add feature to override og:description and og:image in SS settings. To be more precise, about, I see it so (ex, combo-boxes):

For Descriptions [og:description]:
  • Default -> as of now working!
  • Site description -> from Global site config meta-description
  • Custom text -> from addional textarea field in SS settings
For Images [og:image]:
  • Default -> as of now working!
  • Custom image -> from addional filepath field in SS settings

More
16 Mar 2013 14:31 #3245 by Thomas Hunziker
For the description you can already have this with the current function. There is no need to change anything.
  • If you want to have the site description, just leave the menu and sermon meta description empty.
  • If you want to set a defined text for all sermons, use the menu meta description and leave the sermon meta description empty.

For the image: Why would you want to use another image if you have a fitting one in sermon, series or speaker? I could see to add the default image in case there is no other image set. But if there is one available, why would you want to use a more generic one?

• Eduard
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
17 Mar 2013 09:47 - 17 Mar 2013 10:08 #3249 by Eduard
Replied by Eduard on topic Improve OpenGraph
But, I understand correctly:
If I define a meta_description for the SS menu item, I will get (in sermon details view) og:description and common meta description (for search engines) is equal!?

If above written is true, then I would like to separate this, without defines description for each sermon/serie, through overriding description in SS settings.
Last edit: 17 Mar 2013 10:08 by Eduard.

More
17 Mar 2013 10:17 #3250 by Thomas Hunziker
It doesn't even matter where you fill what, the regular meta description and the og:description are always equal in SermonSpeaker. In fact SermonSpeaker uses the regular meta description to fill og:description.

I don't see a point in separating this. I don't even see the point in og:description, but that's Facebook. They could use the regular meta description like Google and all other companies do B)

Btw: With which special characters do you have problems within og tags? I just had a look at the used fields and there can be no HTML tags in those fields. The only thing I can imagine which breaks the og tag is if you used a double quote (") in sermon, series or speaker title.

Time to create page: 0.305 seconds