Select range to play

More
08 Feb 2013 13:50 #3019 by Максим Дубовик
As I am a progragger I know it would be hard to do, but it would be great to have possibility to select range on mp3 when creating record. For our church we have one sermon mp3 containing worship, sermon and other stuff. But it is expensive to upload few files: all service, sermon, worship etc.
If I can help you with some, you are pleasured!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
08 Feb 2013 14:11 - 08 Feb 2013 14:11 #3020 by Andrei Chernyshev
Hello Maxim. it kind of defeats a purpose to have a one whole church sermon and then play a fragment from the service as a sermon. I've seen one church use sermonspeaker for this very purpose and it was counter productive. in the end it became so hard for them to manage this that they've abandoned whole thing altogether. BTW you know Valeriy Dubovik from State College PA or his brother Mikhail Dubovik in Kharkov?
Last edit: 08 Feb 2013 14:11 by Andrei Chernyshev.

More
08 Feb 2013 16:11 #3021 by Thomas Hunziker
I agree with Andrei as far as I understand it.

But if you have the skills to do code it, you are welcome to so. The repository is on GitHub (see "Links" -> "GitHub Repository") and you are free to fork it and do a pull request if you have code to share.

More
08 Feb 2013 16:16 #3022 by Andrei Chernyshev
Wouldn't it eat up bandwidth also? since it has to load whole audio/video file and then seek?

More
08 Feb 2013 20:57 - 08 Feb 2013 21:01 #3023 by Максим Дубовик
Sorry, I do not know any of them.

Andrei Chernyshev wrote: Wouldn't it eat up bandwidth also? since it has to load whole audio/video file and then seek?

What if use flv? There are a lot video hostings converting from video to flv and then you can seek any position you want. Maybe this can be done with mp3 too? I am almost sure!
Last edit: 08 Feb 2013 21:01 by Максим Дубовик.

More
08 Feb 2013 21:57 #3024 by Thomas Hunziker
I think you can seek within mp3 if the server supports streaming. But often it is not supported and then the client will download the whole file even if only a part is played.

I think it would also need a different way of setting up JW Player to support streaming.
And you need additional database fields for start and stop and the user has to set this in the form manually.
Downloads would still download the whole file.

In the end I'm not sure if you really gain anything.

Also I think most people are interested in the sermon and don't care much about the worship around it. There is usually better music available on the radio or internet anyway :)

Time to create page: 0.191 seconds