Hiding the URL file path when downloading

More
25 May 2017 17:36 #6691 by Justin
I have my audio and video stored in an external server and I just link to them when I add the sermon. but this direct path is shown when I go to download the sermon. How can this be hidden?

Thank you

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
25 May 2017 19:53 #6692 by Thomas Hunziker
You can't hide it, because the browser needs to know the URL to download the file for both the player and the download function.

Why do you want to hide it?

More
25 May 2017 20:32 #6693 by Justin
I do not want people to know where the files are stored. It is a direct link to the file. I would prefer to mask the actual link behind a random generated one...

More
25 May 2017 20:49 #6694 by Thomas Hunziker
There is no such function in SermonSpeaker and I will not do that. To explain I would see two approachs to do that:
* Have an intern SermonSpeaker link which then redirects to the actual file location. That would be quite easy to do, however it means that your server has an additional work since each file request has to go through the Joomla stack. And in the end the user still can see the original source of the file.
* Have an intern SermonSpeaker link which then serves the file directly from the extern source. This means again that each request for a file goes through the Joomla stack, but additionally the server has to fetch the file from the remote into its memory and then serve from there. That would likely kill any shared hosters server, especially if it comes to video files. So that's no option at all.

Time to create page: 0.166 seconds