Support for SermonSpeaker 4.x is canceled as it is for Joomla 2.5. I will gladly assist you with minor issues but I will not fix any bugs anymore in this releases.
The fix is to upgrade to SermonSpeaker 5.x and Joomla 3.x, which is better anyway.

Magic quotes problem with 4.4.9

More
15 Nov 2012 19:25 #2728 by Ian Shere
I got an error trying to update to 4.4.9 because my server, obviously, has Magic Quotes set to "on". (Error: This release of SermonSpeaker will not work with 'magic_quotes_gpc' turned on.)

However, checking via PHP config in WHM, I see that the whole server has it set to "Off" as a default.

How do I fix this problem?
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 Nov 2012 20:12 #2729 by Thomas Hunziker
It's true that SermonSpeaker 4.4.7 and higher need magic_quotes_gpc turned off. It's recommended to have this turned off anyway and for Joomla 3.0 it will be a requirement.

The Joomla system information page can tell you if it's enabled or disabled. If it's enabled in Joomla but not in your servers configuration (php.ini), then maybe the .htaccess file is the source. Look for something like
Code:
php_flag magic_quotes_gpc On

More
15 Nov 2012 23:18 #2730 by Ian Shere
Confirmed that, despite showing off in WHM, Joomla reported it on in the Sys Info.

Nope - nothing in .htaccess. Tried adding the line you quoted above to the file, with the parameter set to off, but that just stopped the site loading at all.

More
16 Nov 2012 08:46 #2732 by Thomas Hunziker
Then it's probably set in the php.ini. You may have to contact your hoster then so he can turn it off.

More
25 Dec 2012 04:27 #2821 by Jim Carrel

Thomas Hunziker wrote: Then it's probably set in the php.ini. You may have to contact your hoster then so he can turn it off.

That is exactly what I had to do today, there happened to be a tech available using an instant chat, time to tell him what was up to when it was fixed took 11 minutes.
I had just spent over an hour scouring google just to find out that most fixes recommended didn't work.
Should have called webhost techs to begin with.

More
25 Dec 2012 10:40 #2823 by Thomas Hunziker
Shared hosts can be a pain since you don't know how exactly they set up their server. I was tracking down Joomla problems for hours only to find out that my hoster had a stupid "security rule" enforced which just blocked specific words in a POST message (like in forums).
Contacting the support isn't always the worst idea :-)

Time to create page: 0.197 seconds