Social Goodies in Single Sermon Icons View

More
10 Jul 2012 18:51 #2253 by Manuel Kuhs
Perhaps this should go into the Ideas section, not sure.

I think the big blank space in the bottom right of the beautiful Icon layout for single sermons would be the perfect place for some "social goodies" (i.e. sharing buttons):

Perhaps a very efficient way to implement this is like K2's "Social Button code" setting in the parameters, where you simply paste your, well, social button code (e.g. from ShareThis or AddThis), and the output is placed between K2 item text and title.

Similarly, SermonSpeaker could have a "Social Button code" section in the parameters for Icon view, which places the output in the big blank space I've indicated.
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 Jul 2012 19:16 #2254 by Thomas Hunziker
The best way probably would be to create a module position where you can show whatever you want.

I wrote a basic guide on how to create custom module positions in a layout some months ago:
www.sermonspeaker.net/documentation/layo...e-layout-tricks.html

I'm not sure if I should include such module positions by default or if the user should create those as needed. The problem with default module positions would be that every second user would like another position :-)

More
10 Jul 2012 20:02 #2255 by Manuel Kuhs
I'm just a terrible programmer.

I copied & renamed the icon.php and icon.xml files and just added in the module code that you referenced like this:

<div class="ss-fields-container">
<?php if (in_array('sermon:date', $this->columns) && ($this->item->sermon_date != '0000-00-00 00:00:00')) : ?>
<div class="ss-field field-calendar" title="<?php echo JText::_('COM_SERMONSPEAKER_FIELD_DATE_LABEL'); ?>">
<?php echo JHTML::Date($this->item->sermon_date, JText::_('DATE_FORMAT_LC1'), true); ?>
</div>
<?php endif;
if (in_array('sermon:length', $this->columns) && ($this->item->sermon_time != '00:00:00')) : ?>
<div class="ss-field field-time" title="<?php echo JText::_('COM_SERMONSPEAKER_FIELD_LENGTH_LABEL'); ?>">
<?php echo SermonspeakerHelperSermonspeaker::insertTime($this->item->sermon_time); ?>
</div>
<?php endif; ?>
<?php jimport('joomla.application.module.helper');
$modules = JModuleHelper::getModules('sermonspeaker');
foreach($modules as $module):
echo JModuleHelper::renderModule($module);
endforeach; ?>
</div>

I then created a Custom HTML module assigned to the sermonspeaker position, and inserted the AddThis HTML code into this.

The result is shown in the picture here - the highlight is using the Chrome code highlight function, showing the position of the AddThis:

I'm sure there's a really simple solution which my coding incompetence is preventing me from seeing! Can you help?
Attachments:

More
10 Jul 2012 20:45 - 10 Jul 2012 20:46 #2256 by Thomas Hunziker
Hmm, the code looks correct. I've tried the code and assigned an AddThis module ( www.valandis.de/de/downloads/extensions/valaddthis-module/ ) to the position.

This is how it looks for me:
joomla16.hopto.org/sermons/sermon/17-the...oze.html?layout=icon

maybe you messed up the code in your custom HTML module?
Last edit: 10 Jul 2012 20:46 by Thomas Hunziker.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Manuel Kuhs

More
10 Jul 2012 23:20 - 10 Jul 2012 23:22 #2258 by Manuel Kuhs
Turns out my editor was stripping the HTML code! I amended that, but there's still a problem:

The AddThis module definitely works properly now since it looks perfect when displayed in a standard module position.

I think I need to move the module to be displayed BESIDE the date? But I'm not sure how to do that :(
Attachments:
Last edit: 10 Jul 2012 23:22 by Manuel Kuhs. Reason: add pic

More
11 Jul 2012 08:33 #2261 by Thomas Hunziker
One thing to note is that the blank space isn't really a blank space. That place would be used for the duration of the sermon and the additional file if those are present and set to show.

The info is all floated left. So you probably have to add this style to the module as well so it looks good.

Without an URL of the site it's hard to say what you would have to do exactly. That depends a lot on the template and the code you used.

Time to create page: 0.201 seconds