Support for SermonSpeaker 5.x is in bugfix mode only, the same as it is for Joomla 3.10.
I will not add any new features to this releases.
Please upgrade to SermonSpeaker 6.x and Joomla 4.x, which is better anyway.

createAutomatic much faster in version 5.5.4.

More
04 May 2017 11:29 #6650 by Ken Lee
Dear Thomas,

I have a deployment of version 5.5.2 and number of records grows to about 18,000. I found that when I use Tools, createAutomatic it takes about 3 seconds to create a single entry from an orphaned audio.

If I flush sermons table, so that it is empty, and do it again, it became very fast.
If I upgrade to version 5.5.4, it became very fast.

I wonder if you have done some improvements in version 5.5.4 to fix the problem creating entries, or else upgrading to 5.5.4 undo some of my custom changes so it became fast again. (You know I customized the package quite a bit.)
Would you throw some light on my problem?

Thank you a lot.

Ken

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
04 May 2017 12:21 #6651 by Thomas Hunziker
The changes between 5.5.2 and 5.5.4 aren't that many ( github.com/Bakual/SermonSpeaker/compare/5.5.2...5.5.4 looks more than it is)

The difference you got may be related to fixing a fatal error in the write_id3 function ( github.com/Bakual/SermonSpeaker/commit/5...19d648a883ec10cdf6ce ).
Other than that I don't see anything which could have such an impact.

Or maybe you updated Joomla and something there fixed it?

More
05 May 2017 06:31 - 05 May 2017 06:37 #6654 by Ken Lee
Dear Thomas,

I have some idea on this matter. I enabled bin-log and get this. After each INSERT there are UPDATE sermons SET ordering = x WHERE id=xxxx;
for EACH record already in the table! Effectively shifting the order by 1 till the last record. The newly inserted record has ordering=0 (supposingly at the top) at some listing.
It seems this behavior comes from internal Joomla behavior when "save" function is called.
For some reason unknown, one of my installations on Joomla 3.6.4, with SermonSpeaker 5.3.1, fills all the ordering values to "0" for records createdAutomatically. Ironically this is what I want.
Would you tell me how to stop "save" function from shifting ordering of existing rows? I tried setting $sermon->ordering to 0 before saving but it does not help.

Thank you.
Last edit: 05 May 2017 06:37 by Ken Lee. Reason: typo

More
05 May 2017 07:52 #6656 by Thomas Hunziker
I don't know right now why the automatic creation doesn't do the reordering. It should do it as well.
The responsible code should be this:
github.com/Bakual/SermonSpeaker/blob/mas...sermon.php#L878-L882

More
09 May 2017 10:52 #6662 by Ken Lee
Dear Thomas,

Finally I figured out what happened.
At my deployment which re-ordering appeared did not happened (actually it did):
I keep moving sermons from the default "Uncategorized" to other categories after they are created. As such there is always no sermon with "ordering = 0" in Uncategorized. Function calling table->reorder does not change anything, so such Update Nothing queries do not appear in the binary log.

At the other deployment, I twisted createAutomatic so that $sermon->catid is the category that all sermons will land. So, adding 1 sermon causes reodering of thousands of sermons every time. Here I commented out the reorder call.

I think calling reorder is too costly, for any big Joomla sites that make use of "ordering" fields. Do you know if this issue is addressed in Joomla 3.7?

Thanks a lot.

Ken

More
09 May 2017 11:11 #6663 by Thomas Hunziker
I'm not aware that there was a change to ordering in Joomla 3.7.0. But there was so much stuff going on in 3.7 I honestly have no clue :)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Ken Lee

Time to create page: 0.309 seconds