Frontpage Workflow Logic

More
29 Jan 2013 11:35 - 29 Jan 2013 11:38 #2957 by Richard
Hello Thomas,
I think I am not the only one who technically administers the Joomla installation and Sermonspeaker for our Church, where other people (less technically skilled) upload and configure the sermons. Therefor I propose the folowing usability change in the frontend workflow. Would it be possible to cut the current form in two:
1) basic upload form [upload sermon]
2) form to select an uploaded sermon and configure it [configure sermon]

Also it would be less confusing for our 'normal' users if the admin can choose in the backend to have some options not visible in the frontend. I think of the following to be able to switch off:
1) video upload / configure
2) extra documents upload / configure
3) editor
4) language
5) metadata
6) image
7) serie (our church does not work with series)

This would make the upload and configure process for non-technical skilled people easier, less-confusing. It would make the learning-curve less steep and will put less burden on the administrators (us) to ask people to take on the front-end tasks.

I hope this feedback and request helps. Actually I wonder if other people have aditional ideas to make the frontend-process easier for end-users.

regards, Richard van Oosterhout
The Netherlands, www.baptistenspijkenisse.nl

PS. Please move to Wishes and Ideas...
Last edit: 29 Jan 2013 11:38 by Richard.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
29 Jan 2013 12:42 #2960 by Thomas Hunziker
Hi Richard

Actually, it was a multistep form in earlier versions of SermonSpeaker and I've changed it to the form we have today. I think it's much simpler and it allows for frontend editing while using the exact same form. Going back to a multistep form is no option for me.
We can however discuss about how the form should look so it's more obvious for users what the best steps are. The current form is layouted similar to a article form so it looks familiar.
I face the same problem here as I don't upload the sermons myself and those who do seem to struggle sometimes :)

I was thinking about adding the columns options we already have for the frontend layouts to expand to the editing form. I just didn't have the time yet. You could of course already override the current layout in your template or use CSS to hide the elements (display:none). But I agree that options would be better.

I'm interested in ideas how to improve the form.

More
26 Nov 2013 17:53 #4127 by marsu
Replied by marsu on topic Frontpage Workflow Logic
Hi Thomas, in my suggestion a player in the uploadform where i can "pre listening" the sermon would be a great improvment!

So if there is a problem with the mp3 i can manage it before i save the sermon.

More
26 Nov 2013 22:17 #4128 by Thomas Hunziker
That's a nice idea. I like it!
Now just to figure out how to make it work :-)

I've added it to the issue list on GitHub ( github.com/Bakual/SermonSpeaker/issues/7 ) so I don't forget it.

More
25 Mar 2014 22:19 #4446 by marsu
Replied by marsu on topic Frontpage Workflow Logic
Hi Thomas,

any progress to the backend player?

For our Speakers it would be a great enhancement.

More
26 Mar 2014 07:56 #4447 by Thomas Hunziker
I didn't had any time yet to do that. And honestly it's not the first priority for me.

Time to create page: 0.314 seconds